Road traffic collision investigation courses for professionals
The Professional Road Traffic Collision Investigation courses from Vital Fire are designed to train emergency services professionals to effectively manage, and work in the context of, high stress road traffic emergencies.
With major developments in car safety having taken place over the past decade, and with a global shift in the automotive industry towards electric and autonomous vehicles, the challenges faced by contemporary emergency crews in safely extracting casualties from vehicles are now more complex than ever before.
In order to provide the most up-to-date and high quality RTCI course, and to meet and exceed learner expectations, a range of new elements have been incorporated to the course curriculum for a more extensive overview.
Our instructor course includes the following elements:
- Exposure to the latest developments in the automotive industry with regards to new vehicle technologies, including Electric Vehicles (EV’s)
- An overview of the construction of a brand new vehicle, via a visit to a major vehicle manufacturer
- An introductory workshop on Large Goods Vehicles
- A review of the most up-to-date vehicle extrication techniques
- Vehicle collision investigation
- A workshop dedicated to complex vehicle stabilisation methods
- An emphasis on extrication planning
- Guidance on how the most reliable information can be sourced by instructors, to inform best practice
- Attendance of pre-hospital clinicians (doctors and paramedics) to aid in the promotion of a robust multi-agency professional discussion
- A one-day trauma care CPD event conducted in collaboration with Kingston University and St George’s Hospital, London
- A fully immersive live casualty simulation system, for use during exercises
- A purpose-built training arena to ensure learners can dedicate their full attention to the course in relative comfort
This RTCI course aims to provide the skills, knowledge and understanding required to enable learners to design and deliver training on road traffic collision specialist equipment, and real-world applicable techniques and procedures.
Topics to be covered in this regard will include:
- The team approach
- Exercise planning, delivery and review
- Extrication planning
- Risk assessment methodology
- Modern safety systems
- Rescue techniques
- Casualty care
- Commercial vehicles
- Modern vehicle construction
- Collision investigation procedures
- Specialist RTC equipment
Upon successfully completing this course, learners will be able to do the following:
- Explain the correct process to follow when delivering RTC instruction
- Outline the legislation that relates to attending road traffic collisions
- Succinctly summarise the health and safety requirements of RTC instruction
- Identify and describe recent developments in vehicle technology and design that may be relevant to RTC operations
- Deliver training on the six phases of rescue
- Deliver casualty extrication training in line with the six phases of rescue
- Debrief learners on their performance
- Review their own practice
Who Should Attend This Training (and Key Benefits)
The Road Traffic Collision Instructor Course is aimed at Fire Service Personnel who are responsible for the delivery of road traffic collision training and development – or who are about to take up such a position – at all levels within the fire service.
In particular, the course would benefit operational Crew and Watch Managers who regularly attend road traffic collisions.
Prior to embarking on this course, learners should:
- Ideally have or look to work towards a teaching or training qualification (service or national level)
- Be able to use the necessary technology appropriately to support learning
- Be fit for full operational duty in accordance with service requirements
- Complete the pre-course e-learning modules identified in the joining instructions
How is the course assessed and accredited?
Completion of this course results in a level 3 SFJ(A) accredited qualification.
The course is assessed against the learning outcomes throughout, with a combination of practical observation and testing of essential knowledge.
Contact us for a more in-depth discussion on our Road traffic collision investigation courses and how we can fully meet your expectations via our online enquiry form here. Or call us on: 0191 375 5690.
One of our team will get back to you with details on how we can help very soon. Thank you for your time and interest in Vital Fire Solutions Ltd, part of the County Durham and Darlington Fire Authority’s service.
The Professional Road Traffic Collision Investigation courses from Vital Fire are designed to train emergency services professionals.